Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Confessions of a Working Mom

I love these playgroups that I go to. Megan loves 'em. It seems like the kid interactions that she gets, makes her learn new things, fast. I feel like by letting her play with other kids, she's opening up doors and she's growing right before my eyes.

The only thing is most of these playgroups are for Stay At Home Moms (SAHM). And I got burned a few times when these SAHM want to keep to their SAHM groups. What difference does it make if I go to work? I still want my baby to have all the best things she can get, just like any SAHM.

I had met a really nice mom "Michelle" with her baby "Gabby". Megan and Gabby are the same age and were already hugging and holding hands. Michelle and I were chatting and just hanging out. About an 1 later, both babies were tired. I don't blame them. I was tired just chaperoning them. I'm leaving with Megan, and I handed Michelle my business card with email and phone. I told her, "Call me or email me. Let's meet some time and get our kids together." She looked at the card, and I saw the look in her eyes change like "Humm, you work?"

Wow, big difference. It's been 2 months, and I haven't heard from Michelle. So sad. I know it's my business card. Should I make Mommy cards? LOL... I heard of these cards that mom's hand out with their info, just in case people need to contact them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not even a mom, and I notice this kind of thing. I went over to a friend from work's house to help her plan her wedding, and she had another girl over whom I hadn't met yet. When I asked the other girl what she did, she got kind of defensive and said, "I stay at home with my son." And, you know, I think it's great if women stay home with their kids, just like I think it's great if women go to work for their kids. I told her that I thought it was wonderful, and I congratulated her. I just knew, though, that she was waiting on me to give her a judgmental look and comment. And when I've mentioned to female friends and acquaintances that I'm thinking about working (because I want to) after I have children, I've gotten so many negative responses that I just don't talk to people about it anymore.

It's such a shame that mothers get so used to this kind of judgment and abuse from other women that when any of these issues come up, the default is to be expected to be treated like this by relative strangers. Who are you to pass judgment on how someone else raises their kids? If the kids are healthy and happy, isn't that enough?

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio